Susan M. Davies - Partner
Susan M. Davies has 20 years of experience as a commercial litigator and white collar defense attorney. Prior to joining SBR, Ms. Davies had worked as a litigation associate at two major, international law firms (Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson LLP and Sidley Austin LLP) and at the New York City litigation boutique Gregory P. Joseph Law Offices LLC, where she became a partner.
Since joining SBR in 2007, Ms. Davies' practice has focused on consumer class actions including suits against Priceline.com and Orbitz.com, shareholder class actions, and litigation of business disputes in the Commercial Division of the New York State Supreme Court.
Ms. Davies is a graduate of Columbia University School of Law, where she received a Master of Laws in 1990, and the Australian National University, from which she graduated in 1986 with a Bachelor of Laws, with First Class Honors and a University Medal. While at Columbia, Ms. Davies was a Fulbright scholar, and taught legal writing seminars to J.D. students.
Ms. Davies is an active member of the New York legal community. From 2002-2010, she served on the Advisory Committee on Civil Practice to the Chief Administrative Judge of the Courts of the State of New York. She has served as Treasurer (2008-2009) and Secretary (2007) of the Commercial and Federal Litigation Section of the New York State Bar Association, as well as co-chair of the Section's Committee on New York Civil Practice Law and Rules (2004-2006). In 2009, Ms. Davies received the Commercial and Federal Litigation Section Chair's Award for Distinguished Service to the Section.
Ms. Davies' publications include an often-cited article on the law of evidence: Evidence of Character To Prove Conduct: A Reassessment of Relevancy, 27 Criminal Law Bulletin 504 (1991). This article was recently relied upon by the Supreme Court of New Mexico in deciding, as a matter of first impression, that it was reversible error for a trial court to have excluded evidence of the defendant's honest character. New Mexico v. Martinez, 195 P.3d 1232, 1236 (2008). It has also been cited in a reported decision by Senior U.S. District Judge Jack B. Weinstein (U.S. v. Shonubi, 895 F. Supp. 460 (E.D.N.Y. 1995)) and in numerous scholarly articles on the law of evidence.
Ms. Davies is admitted in New York State, the U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York, the Courts of Appeals for the Second and Eleventh Circuits, and in the Australian jurisdictions of New South Wales (as a solicitor) and Australian Capital Territory (as a barrister and solicitor).
Areas of Practice:
- Commercial Litigator
- White Collar Defense
- Bar Admissions
- New York, 1991
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 1991
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 1991
- U.S. District Court Northern District of New York, 2011
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit, 2005
- High Court of Australia, 1986
- Australian Capital Territory, 1986
- New South Wales, Australia, 1987
Columbia Law School, New York, New York
LL.M. - 1990
Honors: Fulbright Postgraduate Student Scholarship, 1988-1990
Australian National University Faculty of Law, Canberra, Australia
LL.B. - 1986
Honors: University Medal
Honors: First Class Honors
Law Review: Federal Law Review, Notes Editor, 1984 - 1985
University of Canberra, Canberra, Australia
B.A. - 1982
- Evidence of Character to Prove Conduct: A Reassessment of Relevancy, 27 Criminal Law Bulletin 504, November-December, 1991
- Should Hate Speech be Prohibited in Law Schools? (Co-Author with Mark Cammack), 20 Southwestern University Law Review 145, 1991
- Adjunct Tutor, Australian National University, School of Law, 1986 - 1988
- Associate-in-Law, Columbia University School of Law, 1988 - 1990
Honors and Awards:
- Commercial and Federal Litigation Section Chair's Award, 2009
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- New York State Bar Association, Commercial and Federal Litigation Section, Secretary, 2006 - 2007
- New York State Bar Association, Commercial and Federal Litigation Section, Member, Executive Committee, 2002 - Present
- New York State Bar Association, Commercial and Federal Litigation Section, Treasurer, 2008 - 2009
- New York State Bar Association, Commercial and Federal Litigation Section, CPLR Committee Co-chair, 2002 - 2006
- Association of the Bar of the City of the New York, Member
- Advisory Committee to the Chief Administrative Judge of the Courts of the State of New York, Member, 2002 - 2010